Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Flag Burning-Playing Politics with The Constitution

The Washington Post reported that the House Of Representatives approved, again, a flag burning (or desecration) amendment. My first reaction was to write my Senator, Slazar. (I didn't even bother with Allard, but I might change my mind, even though it would do no good.) Here is the letter:

Dear Senator Salazar,

Once again the House has disgraced itself, our Nation and every person who ever wore the uniform by adopting a flag burning (desecration) amendment. I know the politics of this are tough, but the principle is too important to let this pass the Senate. Please oppose the amendment.

I served in the Army and twenty-five years in the Federal government, because I love my country. The symbols of our country are meaningless if we debase the principles upon which it was built. The flag burning amendment elevates a symbol, the flag, above one of the most cherished principles of our Nation, freedom of speech, which especially includes offensive speech.

With our freedoms and values under constant assault by those by those in the Administration and Congress who think they can achieve anything they wish by simply yelling "terror," now is an especially inauspicious time to give in to those who want to play politics with our Constitution. Please fight them.

You recently honored Flag Day. Nothing would dishonor our flag more than to turn it into an excuse to undermine our cherished Constitution.

Please stand firm.

Gary L. Norton

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:37 PM

    I knew you would have something to say about this. Thank you.

    My own responses --

    1. Write acheck to ACLU.

    2. Burn a Republican.

    ReplyDelete